Money Confessions: Nine Things I Wasted Money On
// not sponsored
We all fall into that retail therapy trap sometimes – it feels good to spend money but trust me, it feels just as good to save it! Here’s a few of the things I’ve absolutely wasted money on over the years so hopefully you won’t fall into the same trap I did!
Top 9 Things I’ve Wasted Money On:
- Designer bags – I know how pretty that Kate Spade tote is in the store window but…I have so many designer bags that I’ve bought over the years and I’m one person. I only need one bag. And now, I can only get 25-30% of what I paid if I sold them. Kind of a waste…
- Holiday decorations – I just moved and I can’t tell you how much I donated/threw away. It’s a much better value to spend a Saturday DIY-ing some of your own decor rather than paying full price at the store
- A new car – I’m so close to paying my car off and I definitely regret not getting something used, a few years older and saving myself $5k. Car payments are no joke.
- Clearance clothes– when I was younger I would spend my weekends at the clearance racks at Kohl’s, snagging some deals. Don’t get me wrong, I definitely got a ton of clothes for under $5, but the problem was that I was buying clothes just to buy clothes. Most of it wasn’t even my style, I was just excited to get something so cheap. Definitely not a good habit.
- Multiple foundations – I started this blog as a beauty blog and at one point, I’m pretty sure I had 10+ foundations in my stash. That’s great…if you’re a pro makeup artist. But I wasn’t, and it was pretty wasteful of me to have so many foundations because they ended up going bad – some before I even used them.
- Cheap cell phones – I used to go through a cell phone a year before I splurged on an iPhone SE – and it’s lasted me ever since! Sometimes it definitely pays off in the long run to make an investment rather than continually buying cheap alternatives.
- Dining out – don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing bad with going out to dinner with friends. But it gets expensive if you have a lot of friends that like to go out to eat…a lot. I always try to find a coupon or get a salad with extra chicken to keep myself from spending over $25 a meal.
- Cable – yep, I’m one of those! I save at least $50 a month by choosing a streaming tv service like Youtube TV or DirecTVNow and I always recommend it to anyone looking to stop wasting their money on cable!
- Nail polish – this might be my biggest weakness of all! I had over 75 bottles at one point…and I barely have time to paint my nails anymore! Now I’ve gotten it down to a solid 12 colors that are my absolute favorite.
Everyone has their vices – nail polish if you’re anything like me! – but these are just a few of the things I’ve wasted money on over the years that I definitely wish I hadn’t. Just some food for thought, and hopefully some savings for your wallet!