Not just in the beauty niche, but the Japanese products appeal to worldwide consumers for their impeccable quality. This puts no doubt that why Japan has such high exports worldwide. This is what you will experience with the Japanese sunscreen products as well.
Japanese naturally have fair skin and they take good care of their skin as well. Sun protection is a challenge for maintaining the much needed daily beauty and considering these needs, the Japanese sunscreen lotions, etc. have come a long way to where they stand today.
They became popular far and wide for their super UV rays protection. On top of that, their sunscreen products are also known to have a lightweight formula so that there are no side effects or any other skin issue that you may encounter with such products. This guide will help you with the selection of the best product and other things that you may seek information about in your buying process.
The Top Japanese Sunscreen Products for you to Try
There are plenty of Japanese sunscreen products and this comes as a challenge to pick the best one in every aspect of quality and effectiveness. The following list has some most trustworthy Japanese sunscreen products that you can trust with no second thoughts at all:
Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence
The sunscreen offers water capsules that could spread very smoothly over the skin with all its moisturizing ingredients that include royal jelly extract, hyaluronic acid, and citrus mix. The manufacturer has tested this one for allergies and it is usage is fun to be completely risk-free.
- This one product could be used for applying on both face and body with optimal performance.
- The product is safe and doesn’t cause any sort of allergies at all.
- It is a waterproof formula and can sustain for 80 minutes in water.
- The product won the Best Cosmetic Award in 2014.
- It comes with a heavy alcoholic scent which could be unpleasant for some users.
ROHTO Aqua Super Moisture Milk with SPF 50
- It offers risk-free usage as it does not contain any artificial colors, fragrances, or mineral oil.
- You may easily remove this waterproof milky formula with regular soap.
- The SPF 50 rating offers optimal protection against UV rays.
- It includes the best moisturizing ingredients including amino acid, hyaluronic acid, and collagen.
- It doesn’t give the desirable matte finish which people with oily skin types require.
Anessa Perfect UV Spray Japanese Sunscreen Aqua Booster
Anessa is hands down the topmost brand in Japan for almost 17 years. This 60g spray bottle is filled with ideal ingredients to cover up for all your sunscreen needs. The manufacturer has formulated this with 50% skincare products and the Aqua Booster EX technology for providing the best UV protection.
The sunscreen is not only water and sweat proof, but it is friction resistant as well. You will get it with an ideal blend of moisturizing ingredients such as rosehip extract, hyaluronic acid, and glycerin, etc.
You may easily apply it on your body, face, and even hair as it is manufactured in a way to target your scalp as well.
- Anessa is a top band in Japan with the best sunscreen products that offer super performance.
- The formula for this Japanese sunscreen product is sweat and waterproof.
- UV Stamina technology is induced to offer excellent protection against UV rays like no other.
- The user will love it for its lightweight and non-sticky texture.
- The size of the bottle is too small to be suitable for practical user needs.
Obagi Medical grade Sun Shield SPF 50 Japanese Sunscreen
The manufacturer combines the maximum and the most optimal UVA and UVB protection in this single powerful sunscreen. The formula is completely PABA and fragrance-free. Application of this sunscreen will provide you with a matte finish and it is ideally suitable for people with oily skin types.
However, this dynamic product may be used for almost all skin types. The SPF 30 rated product is dermatologically tested and gives you a lot more confidence in the sun. It is advised to have a good look at the package of this product for its suggested use.
- The item promises the best protection against UVA and UVB rays with its strong formula.
- The item is free from fragrance or PABA to ensure risk-free usage.
- Users will be able to get a matte finish with each application of this item.
- The formula is suitable for all types of skin.
- It might give a slightly dry feel which can be irritating for people with sensitive skin types.
CANMAKE Mermaid UV 01 Skin Gel
Canmake provides this 40g gel-type Japanese sunscreen with a very productive formula. It is suitable for all skin complexion types. It is a lightweight and watery sunscreen formula that offers higher UV protection as compared to similar products in its league.
You will get this one with the desirable SPF 50 rating and PA++++. You may opt for this product as a standalone skincare agent or even as a moisturizing base for your makeup. It is advised to use this product after employing a cleansing face wash to get the best results. The 85% of beautifying ingredients allow your skin to stay hydrated and smooth.
- The formula of this product sits longer on your skin while providing maximum UV protection.
- You will get this item with SPF 50 rating that is the most in-demand SPF level.
- The formula is tried and tested to be compatible with skins of varying complexions.
- This watery sunscreen is lightweight, which offers great user satisfaction.
- This formula is not waterproof so not suitable for beach or pool use.
Shiseido Anessa UV Whitening Sunscreen Gel
The item is applicable for both body and face use. Anessa is a top band and this sunscreen is also known for treating the dark spots and freckles of the skin quite expertly, which are usually a result of extra UV exposure. You will find your skin comfortable moisturized after each application.
- The formula provides long-lasting protection against UV rays.
- It is super waterproof and can be removed easily with regular soap.
- The fragrance of this sunscreen is excellent, unlike the majority of other similar products.
- Skin feels fresh and comfortably moisturized.
- You may find this product some extra reflective on your face.
Skin Aqua Japanese Super Moisture Milk
It dries quite quickly while giving a much natural finish and doesn’t feel heavy or thick at all. There is no fragrance, color, or harsh chemicals included. It is suitable for both the face and body, but its small size might just push you to use it intelligently.
- The UV scattering agent and UV absorber ingredients are included to prevent UV rays.
- It is suitable for the face, body, and makeup base.
- It offers the most optimal UV cut effect with SPF 50 rating.
- The formula is free from any cancerogenic tar.
- It may cause some itching, especially if you have sensitive skin.
Kanebo Allie UV Gel Mineral Moist Japanese Sunscreen
You can trust this amazing gel type sunscreen formula to provide you with satisfactory protection against UV rays. It will give a crystal clear finish and a little massage would completely disappear this solution under your skin.
You may just get a slightly shiny finish, which also looks good in a way for most people. It may also be used as an excellent base for makeup and you wouldn’t have any sort of sticky feel at all, after applying this formula.
- The SPF 50 level is ideal for blocking the majority of UV rays in the most productive manner.
- It comes in a big bottle, which will serve you for a long, especially if you are a frequent user.
- It is lightweight with no greasy or sticky feeling.
- It penetrates deep within the skin and offers a slightly shiny finish.
- It has a very strong and unpleasant alcoholic odor.
Privacy UV Sunscreen in Powder Form
The formula is highly productive to use before your makeup and before going out in the strong sun outside. It offers added sun protection and provides your skin with a glowing and shiny finish. The product is packed with the much-needed SPF 50 level and the PA++++.
- The SPF 50 level ensures that your skin looks pretty and fresh after application.
- The sunscreen can be used before makeup as a base for providing UV protection in the outdoors.
- You will experience a glossy and glowing finish after its use.
- You will get a nice matte finish after its application.
- There are no chemicals included in this shampoo.
- The quantity within the bottle is too less for those looking to use it regularly.
Sun Killer Japanese Sunscreen
The Japanese sunscreen domain has plenty of options available for kids and this one stands as one of the finest for those having sensitive skin types. This milky and watery formula is lightweight and penetrates deep within the skin for providing the best protection from UV rays. The trendy matte finish is what that you could expect while using this sunscreen on your babies. You may also witness a mild lightening effect so you may not need any other cosmetic for a dramatic skin finish.
- The twisted lid bottle of this product ensures that there is no wastage or overuse of the content.
- This one has a lighter texture and comfortable for everyday use.
- The product is one of the finest for those having sensitive skin types.
- It provides the trend matte finish.
- The formula requires a bit of an effort to make it settle down into your skin.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Japanese Sunscreen Products
It is understandable to have those sometimes basic, sometimes technical, and sometimes out of the box questions about the skincare products like Japanese sunscreen. The following are the most common questions for which potential buyers seek an answer quite frequently:
How often should I apply the Japanese sunscreen?
You may apply it 365 days a year, whether you are going into the sun or not. The Japanese sunscreens from reputed manufacturers are harmless and highly effective in providing maximum skin protection.
What is SPF?
SPF or Sun Protection Factor tells about the quantity of solar energy that could cause a solar burn when you wear the sunscreen. A sunscreen with its minimum available SPF level could prevent 97% of the UVB rays.
Are Japanese sunscreens different for face and body application?
There is no such bifurcation. It is just that people buy specialized products because face skin is considered to be a lot more sensitive as compared with the rest of your body.
What is the minimum SPF level recommended in the Japanese sunscreens?
SPF 30 is the minimum recommended level. However, the higher is the better when it comes to the SPF level in the sunscreens. The sunscreens with an SPF level of 50 are quite useful.
How much is Biore sunscreen in Japan?
Japanese people use biore sunscreen because it is the most effective and affordable option available. The price is high but you get what you pay for.
Why are Japanese sunscreens so popular?
Japanese sunscreens are formulated to moisturize and nourish the skin while blocking the harmful rays. It is also lightweight and versatile. People love Japanese sunscreens because of its high SPFs and PA ratings.
Why are Japanese sunscreens better?
Sunscreen products from Japan have light textures and moisturizing properties. They also protect your skin from both UVB and UVA rays. The PA+++ means that the product protects well against UVA rays.
How to choose Japanese sunscreens for you skin type?
Choose a Japanese sunscreen with an SPF of 50 or more. Also, choose a Japanese sunscreen with a high PA rating. For example, if you want to protect yourself from both UVA and UVB rays, then choose a Japanese sunscreen with an PA rating of +++.
There are five kinds of sunscreens: Milk, Cream, Gel, Essence and Powder. Milk type is the gentlest, so it’s perfect for sensitive skin. Gel/Essence type is light and easy to use, so it’s great for people who want to enjoy beautiful summer days without getting burned. Mist spray type is used for areas that are hard to reach, like your hair and scalp. Powder type is used as a foundation.
Most people use chemical sunscreens when going out in the sun. They are more effective than physical ones because they protect the body from getting burned by absorbing the harmful ultraviolet radiation. However, some people have sensitive skin and may get allergic reactions after using chemical sunscreens.
Which is best Japanese sunscreen?
A sensitive skin needs to be protected from the sun. This includes people who have an oily or acne prone skin. People with a dark complexion need to protect themselves from the sun too. These products are recommended by dermatologists.
Is Japanese sunscreen effective?
Sunscreen products are effective, but they may cause skin irritation. These products are usually non-irratic and free from additives.
What Kind of Sunscreen Should You Use?
Physical and chemical filters are the most common kind of sunscreen. Both of these types of filters help block out harmful UV radiation. Some people may react badly to certain chemicals found in chemical filters. A combination of physical and chemical filters is always recommended.
Physical filters may not be the best option if you have oily or acne-prone skin. Chemical filters are better for sensitive skin. Zinc oxide is a physical filter that gives a noticeable whiteness on your face. Switching to chemical sunscreens is an easy solution to avoid looking pale.
Chemical sunscreens are harmful to your skin. They contain dangerous ingredients that could cause allergies or irritations. Sunscreen doesn’t protect you from UV rays until it has absorbed into your skin. After using a chemical sunscreen, you must wait at least 20 minutes before exposing yourself to the sun.
Features to Consider when Buying Japanese Sunscreen Products
There are a lot of duplicate products seen in the market, especially after the Japanese sunscreen items got a lot of popularity. This warrants you to do your due diligence and trust only the best, genuine, and most authentic product. Considering the following features would help you to shortlist your desirable Japanese sunscreen product with ease:
All sunscreens are not equal or they cannot be equally productive for everyone. The effectiveness of the sunscreen depends on the type of your skin. This goes for the Japanese sunscreens as well, just like any other similar cosmetic. You need to determine your skin type, which could be dry, oily, dark, sensitive or acne-prone, etc. Manufacturers offer sunscreen for such specific skin type to work as desired and with no negative effects at all.
Sunscreen Types – Chemical or Physical
The Japanese sunscreens can be of two different types, namely, chemical or physical. Physical sunscreen is also alternately known as the mineral sunscreen that shields the skin by blocking and reflecting the harmful rays.
The chemical sunscreens absorb the sunlight and prevent it from penetrating the skin. All of the available physical UV filters are capable of blocking both the UVA and UVB rays, but the chemical sunscreens could work for either one of them. On top of that, you may also find Japanese sunscreens that are produced with ingredients involving both the physical and chemical ones, eventually providing higher protection.
Form of Japanese Sunscreens
The Japanese sunscreens could come in a variety of different forms, which are briefly mentioned below:
1. Gel – This one offers a runny gel and milky formula, which results in the most lightweight sunscreen. You will get a cold and refreshing feeling after applying this one. It takes just a couple of minutes max to penetrate your skin. The oily skin people find it as the most desirable option. You may also prefer it to wear right under your makeup where their lightweight consistency helps.
2. Milk & Cream – This offers a milky texture and is known to be quite similar to the conventional sunscreens. They are quite more watery than the normal sunscreens, while they give a thick and moisturized feeling when applied. They need a bit of effort and time to sink into the skin and could be a bit uncomfortable in humid conditions.
3. UV Sprays – They are relatively new in the cosmetic market but already created a good impression. They are offered in aerosol cans, which protects and refreshes your skin instantly. Please note that this type may leave a greasy impression on the skin.
4. Essence – This type offers a serum-like texture and it is quite thicker than the gel alternative. However, it is not as runny, and neither it is too different. It may come in different versions such as bb essence, whitening essence, and a watery essence, etc.
SPF – PA – UVA and UVB
These are the commonly found information on the Japanese sunscreens and it could be a bit difficult for the first-timers to understand. The UVA rays or the Ultraviolet rays have the potential to reach much deeper into your skin and that could result in skin sagging and wrinkles. Ultraviolet B on the other end could cause skin inflammation and result in freckles and spots.
SPF means Sun Protection Factor and the number that accompanies SPF in the sunscreens indicated the protection that you get from the UVB rays. PA on the flipside stands for protection grade against the harmful UVA rays and you will find this given in the products with a ‘plus’ sign. The higher the number of SPF rating is, the better will be the protection provided.
No Toxic Ingredients
You need to ensure that your Japanese sunscreen doesn’t come with any toxic chemicals. The ones with such villainous ingredients may lead to skin allergies and other issues such as eczema. A good thing is that Japanese products are banned from using such ingredients in cosmetic products, but it is always a good thing to keep an eye on the ingredients.
The Japanese sunscreens can come in a variety of different packings. The selection of a particular packaging or dispenser depends on your particular preference and ease of using the product. Some of the common dispenser types are twisted cap bottles, flip caps, squeezable bottles, and many more. You just need to have one that makes dispensing quite easy and with no waste of the content at all.
The Japanese sunscreens are in huge demand specifically for their ability to block both the UBB and UVA rays. The products are produced keeping quality and skin needs in mind. This results in providing a great feeling of freshness and makes them quite comfortable on the skin. You need to have the right information about the product including UVA, UVB, PA and SPF levels, etc.
You must choose a product after evaluating your skin type which could be oily, dry, sensitive, dark, or acne-prone. The other key things to ascertain are the preferred form of sunscreen, the right dispenser, and the product having no toxic chemicals at all.