How to Workout – When You Hate Working Out

January 25, 2018Kelly Baum

I think the title is pretty self-explanatory – I hate working out! Getting sweaty is just not my jam, but, sadly we can’t all be couch potatoes forever! I’ve found a pretty solid routine that’s keeping me motivated and (dare I say) feeling a lot better, all with minimal effort! Here’s how to workout and get your body moving.

How to Workout - When You Hate Working Out!

How to Workout - When You Hate Working Out!

So a little bit of background about myself: I was diagnosed with POTS, or Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, shortly after my spinal fusion in 2011, which means that not enough blood gets to my heart when I’m standing. Thus, I get lightheaded and dehydrated extremely quickly when I’m standing. You won’t catch me at any exercise classes anytime soon and it’s meant that working out has been really difficult without, let’s get real, passing out and hitting the ground.

So here’s how I solved my lazy problem: pilates at home

Every day I workout along to a 15 minute pilates video in the morning and then again in the late evening. This definitely isn’t a “one-size fits all solution” but I’m actually really enjoying this daily routine. Two 15 minute sessions doesn’t make me too sweaty or dehydrated, but it’s enough that I can get my heart moving, especially by breaking it up into morning and evening sessions.

**As a bonus, on Friday nights or if I’ve just had a stressful day, I’ll workout along to a 20 minute beginners yoga session post-evening pilates. I’ve found this to be a really successful way to relax and stretch the bad thoughts right out!

After just one week of this routine, I’ve going from “built like a brick” to “hey, I can almost touch my toes!” form which is really incredible and motivating. To me, it’s the evidence that sometimes the smallest changes in life are enough to make a big impact.

Comments (10)

Omio Coupons

September 7, 2019 at 12:41 pm

Bandara Poker77 Daftar dan Bermain di Bandarapoker, Agen Poker88, dapatkan Bonus Deposit Member Baru maupun Member lama Terbesar. Ikuti Promo Bonus Poker Referral kami untuk mendapatkan Penghasilan Tambahan!

Poker Online

September 1, 2019 at 5:21 am

travel blog

May 9, 2019 at 1:57 pm

Lisa

May 5, 2019 at 3:50 am

Thank you! So happy that Canada introduced you to gyms and the pleasures of working out. It really is a pleasure… whenever I’m not in the mood or start making excuses, I remind myself I’m alive and able-bodied so get to it. Always feel better after. 😉 Doing what works for us is so, so, SO important.

John Gatesby

April 1, 2019 at 3:09 am

Congratulations to you and your spirit! I am really very happy on reading this and I am going to share it with lots of people, who will be enthused and try out this work out routine that will help them overcome some of the pain and depression. Many thanks for sharing this!

Mitchelton pilates private instruction

March 14, 2019 at 3:17 am

An awesome way for exercise. Relax the body and mind.

pilates benefits Brisbane

December 7, 2018 at 8:27 am

Strong muscles do more than look good. They also protect us from conditions like arthritis and back pain, and help prevent falls in elderly people. And when you build strength through Pilates, you balance it with flexibility.

coralcrue

August 8, 2018 at 9:38 am

I have trouble staying motivated. I can workout but I just don’t bother, I will look up this video. I can’t touch my toes, yet….

Nicole

June 27, 2018 at 3:06 pm

This post really got my attention since I am having problems staying motivated and committed with my fitness routine. Thank you for the words of encouragement and inspiration.

Niki at Toot’s Mom is Tired

May 3, 2018 at 1:23 pm

I hate working out too. I’m going to have to try that video. Thanks for the suggestion!